Thursday 10 October 2013

Do What I Do - When Leaders Mean It

"Do what I say, not what I do" a boss might say, I know I've had it said to me directly and indirectly on more than one occasion during my career. However a leader says "Do what I do" and leads by example, providing a role model for others to follow.

In his article "When Leaders Mean It" http://bit.ly/1gkX2yf Stephen Paskoff gives the example of a senior leadership team of educators who are passionately committed to their institution and its mission. Their goal is to build an inclusive, welcoming culture that engages people of all backgrounds and differences. To help achieve this goal they have started by focusing on themselves considering their own approach and communication skills, rather than start by simply asking others to change how they behave, they are leading by example.

Remember be a leader, not simply a boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment